The arena will feature the industry 4.0 automated self-adhesive digital label printing production process. Innovative live demonstrations will be supported by a total of 13 leading industry hardware, software and materials suppliers, including Xeikon and its Aura Partners.
The process that encourages audience participation will cover:
• Interactive order creation with CERM MIS system managing data and files.
• Job preflight from Esko’s prepress tools that will send files straight to the Xeikon X-800 digital front end where all the process and print instructions will be processed on the FDA-approved, dry toner Xeikon CX3 digital label press integrated with Xeikon laser die-cutting unit.
• Inspection by an AVT camera on the grafotronic, which is linked to the MIS system, will automatically stop the machine whenever a defective label is detected so that any necessary repairs can take place.
• Automatic waste removal by the Matho Cuttobag waste management system that allows continuous, uninterrupted production;
• Unique roll coding for warehousing via Xeikon Metadata, delivery and customer invoicing using customer information supplied by the MIS system.
• When Xeikon’s CX3 digital label press is integrated with Xeikon laser die-cutting unit with UV varnish station, label shops can achieve 100% digital die cutting flexibility. In addition, the automatic slitter reduces step up time and bottlenecks in the finishing station and supports end-to-end label digital label production workflow.
Three 30-minute demonstrations will be held on the first two days of the show at 11am, 1pm and 3pm, and a further two on the last day at 11am and 1pm. Each session will be filmed live and visitors will be able to see every detailed aspect of the job relayed via large screens.
“In an era of ever-decreasing run lengths, production bottlenecks, plus shorter lead and delivery times, it seems certain that increasing automation in tomorrow’s label and shrink sleeve plants will become a necessity for their successful performance and profitability,” Mike Fairley, Automation Arena lead and Labelexpo strategic consultant, said. “The Automation Arena will provide an important showcase at Labelexpo Americas 2018 of just what is now becoming feasible.”
Automation Arena is free to attend for all Labelexpo Americas 2018 registered visitors.
Xeikon will be Hall A #728, which is also home at the show for parent company Flint Group.