At the center of this facility is Flint Group’s new eight-station SOMA printing press, equipped with the latest web handling and both water-based and UV printing capabilities.
“The center has been specially designed to focus on the development of products that will shape the future of Paper & Board printing,” Kim Melander, VP sales EMEA and global strategy Paper & Board for Flint Group, said. “The investment in our new state-of-the-art SOMA printing press is a significant milestone and a clear demonstration that we are fully committed to invest in our industry and support our customers’ growth through an innovative development workflow.”
Flint Group’s brand new SOMA printing press is available for product benchmarking and customer trials. The press is fully equipped with features such as the SOMA Ink Cartridge System, Falcon II Intelligent Job Setting, and Inkstorm auto wash-up, along with sleeves, aniloxes, and doctor blades manufactured by market leaders in the flexographic printing industry, including Flint Group’s Flexographic Products Division.
Flint Group’s newest innovation centre is a hub of innovation and collaboration, having:
• The new SOMA Optima 850, 8-color CI printing press.
• A 590 square meter space for press demonstrations with a sound proof collaboration room.
• Development and testing labs with advanced analytic testing and proofing equipment.
• An ‘Academy’ room which can hold up to 25 people and an adjacent free-thinking lounge area for mapping future ideas.
• A new GSE ink dispenser and Flint Group’s unique VIVO Colour Solutions toolbox provide the full integrated press room workflow
• A staff of experts with more than 300 combined years in the packaging industry and more than 170 years with Flint Group.
“With the GIC, Flint Group provides a unique customer centric R&D facility focused on developing ‘next generation’ products for our core global market segments,” said Paul Winstanley, technical director, Paper & Board EMEA.
“In June of 2016, Flint Group presented the market with its Global Colour Center (GCC) in Poland and its solution-based competencies, VIVO Colour Solutions,” Stuart Duffy, director professional services for Flint Group Packaging & Narrow Web, added. “The new Global Innovation Centre (GIC) in Sweden is a second step, and a calculated complement to the GCC in Poland. The demand for brand equity and integrity solutions by brand owners helped shape our strategy to create and deliver these two global Centers of excellence.”