The finishes are an extension of Crown’s “Colourful World” technology portfolio, which addresses the need for greater differentiation at the point of purchase and helps brands push the boundaries of functionality and creativity.
The new additions to the family include:
- MattTactile and TactileEdge are advancements of the Company’s Tactile finish and run at extreme energy levels, without loss of line speed;
- MirrorGloss is the next generation of the Company’s existing gloss varnish;
- Frost gives cans a dewy look;
- Sparkle, which features actual sparkling elements, is ideal for adding a premium look to packaging.
To demonstrate the impact that decorative finishes can have, Crown’s booth includes several recent commercial launches. Among them, there are Coca-Cola Turkey’s thermochromic summer designs featuring thermochromic inks as well as new cans created for Mountain Dew that utilize fluorescent ink. After introducing a brighter colored bottle to the market, Mountain Dew duplicated the neon effect on a special edition can range across the Middle East.
Other innovative technologies that are featured at Crown’s booth include:
- Emprint – Crown’s latest finish that creates a ‘micro-embossed’ effect on the surface of the can. Emprint enables features such as a premium tactile feel or grip on the can as well as help accentuate a selected part of the design. The light refracted by the textured surface offers the container new dimensions by creating a matt, gloss or 3D effect;
- ClickerCrown – A modernization of the original crown cork (also known as the bottle cap) developed by the Company’s founder, William Painter, in 1892. The twist off crown cork produces a fresh ‘click’ sound when opened, providing visual, audible and tactile interaction during the opening experience;
- CrownConnect – Developed in conjunction with EVRYTHNG, a GS1 US Solution Partner, the technology made its commercial debut with FACT water and its Almond Blockchain platform. CrownConnect serves as the enabler by providing the scannable codes necessary for access. In addition to helping brands building loyalty through rewards and contests, the platform also delivers critical purchasing data that can help to shape future marketing and promotional campaigns.