SICPATRACE Cannabis combines counterfeit-resistant stamps, traceability and enforcement tools, customizable data management services, and consumer engagement for proof of origin and product details.
“The customizable SICPATRACE Cannabis solution – combined with SICPA’s ongoing implementation support – provides government officials, cultivators, distributors, and consumers greater visibility into the supply chain for cannabis products. This forensic trail, stretching from cultivator to dispensary, helps identify and reduce the spread of illegal cannabis, supports public health and safety goals, and increases consumer confidence,” said Alex Spelman, SICPA VP of business development.
This contract will continue to build on the successful Humboldt County pilot program, where more than 30,000 stamps were applied to nearly 2,000 pounds of medical cannabis and medical cannabis products originating in Humboldt County. In addition to positive feedback from officials and industry stakeholders, the program was formally recognized in the 2017 Excellence in Tax Stamps awards in the category of Best Tax Stamp Program and the California Association of Counties (CSAC) 2017 Challenge Awards for Innovation.
Humboldt is the third major California county to join forces with SICPA for cannabis solutions. Mendocino and Yolo counties launched similar programs with SICPA earlier this year.
How It Works
Through a combination of counterfeit resistant stamps and the secure online system, products are tracked starting with individual plants, through various product transformations, and all the way to point of sale. As a product moves through the supply chain – from cultivator to manufacturer to distributor to dispensary – additional detail is added to the online system in association with each unique stamp. This creates a map of a product’s journey through the supply chain in a secure online system.
The stamps also connect patients and consumers to product information through the CalOrigin smartphone app and website (www.calorigin.org). Patients and consumers use these tools to make sure a stamp is valid, retrieve product details, see test results, and more.
SICPATRACE Cannabis provides many benefits to program participants. For government officials and law enforcement, the solution offers:
• Public Safety – Capture and rendering of product creation methods and testing information to ensure products are safe for consumption.
• Compliance – Ability to quickly authenticate product source and provenance to prevent transfer of products between legitimate operations and the illicit market.
• Revenue Reconciliation – Detailed volumetric and sales information to enable tax calculation and reconciliation at multiple points in the supply chain.
For growers, manufacturers, distributors, and dispensaries, the solution offers:
• Simple and efficient toolset to enable quick compliance with regulations.
• Supply chain visibility aligned to regulatory reporting requirements.
• An app and website that connects them with patients and consumers.
Patients and consumers can count on the solution to:
• Validate cannabis products have been legally produced,tested and are appropriate for consumption.
• View product information such as potency and appropriate use instructions and receive notification of unsafe or recalled products.
• Confirm product production methods and operator third party certifications.
Image via Pixabay