As the authority in authentication solutions, Authentix helps you thrive in supply and distribution chain complexity. We provide advanced authentication solutions for governments, central banks and commercial products, ensuring local economies grow, banknote security remains intact and commercial products have robust market opportunities.
Principal Development Chemist - Inks & Coatings
The Principal Development Chemist – Security Inks and Coatings will rely on extensive knowledge and hands-on experience in ink formulations and printing applications to develop, validate and implement security printing solutions. These solutions will utilize overt and covert features for a wide range of printing applications for the brand protection industry.
This job requires a strong hands-on background in a wide variety of printing processes and ink formulations and the ability to work independently with little supervision, yet also be an integral team member.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The essential functions listed below are representative of the functions that must be performed to satisfactorily fulfill the purpose of this job. Additional functions and duties may be assumed or assigned from time to time.
- Innovate, develop and validate new overt and covert authentication features for printing applications
- Integrate authentication features into existing ink packages
- Develop products from concept to commercialization
- Conduct various lab tests pertinent to developing and validating inks, raw materials and developing test procedures
- Facilitate the implementation of printed security features at commercial and security printers
- Manage print trials using gravure, litho, flexo, offset, screen and digital processes
- Responsible for the transfer of developed products to production, including design of production procedures and development of quality specifications
- Review and evaluate security features using analytical techniques, including reflectance and fluorescence spectroscopy, imaging and color analysis
- Work to troubleshoot printing and formulary issues as they arise
- Evaluate raw material substitutes and work with current and future vendors to qualify and test new raw materials
- Serve as a technical resource for the broader group in select focus areas of technology
- Contribute to the overall quality Authentix technologies by developing, reviewing and implementing policies and procedures to meet customer specifications, legal requirements, and the company mission.
- Develop and in-depth understanding of Authentix and competitor security inks and features
- Actively participate in broader technology development projects
- Support corrective actions and quality improvements with a multi-disciplinary team
- Work closely with Production and Quality to facilitate continuous improvement
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required to satisfactorily perform the essential functions of this job.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Material Science, Chemical Engineering or similar field
- Knowledge of pigment dispersions, resins and other materials used in ink
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in development and validation of ink formulations for a variety of printing processes with experience in UV, IR, and OVI inks preferred
- Preferred experience with security features in seals, packaging, labels and tapes
- Preferred experience in troubleshooting printing operations
- Proficient in chemistry/physical sciences
- Passionate, innovative and motivated with excellent attention to detail
- Skilled in trouble-shooting and analytical thinking with an interest in solving complex problems
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office 365 suite
- A desire to work as a collaborative team member in diverse environments including interaction with sales and product management
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
- Up to 50% [domestic/international] travel may be required