BYK USA Inc.
BYK Additives & Instruments is one of the world’s leading suppliers in the additives and instruments sector.
Technical Service Chemist – Ink
Performs independent functions to provide all necessary services in Graphic Arts (Printing Ink and Inkjet) applications and customer support. Develop local formulations and product recommendations to support the sales and marketing teams.
- Knowledge about BYK additives and their purpose for applications in graphic arts
- Understanding formulation ingredients, application techniques and substrates for Graphic Arts applications
- Understanding of how formulations and application methods for Graphic Arts are different from other markets
- Basic knowledge of laboratory equipment applicable to Graphic Arts
- Understand the safety considerations and labeling procedures of chemicals in the laboratories
- Knowledge of which products are unique and not easily replaced in customer formulations, leading to a more secure position.
- Basic knowledge of physical and health hazards associated with Graphic Arts coating chemistries.
- Knowledge of computer programs necessary for generating reports and presentations (e.g. Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.).
- Ability to design experiments, analyze the data, and interpret the results.
A. Perform Technical Service Request (TSR) and Laboratory Projects:
- Perform TSR on behalf of BYK USA Inc.
- Create report(s) of TSR performed
- Evaluate new additives in Graphic Arts systems
- Reply to customer technical inquiries received by telephone/email
- Evaluation of competitive additive products
- Evaluation of new coatings, raw materials, binders, solvents, pigments, etc., as directed by the Regional End Use Manager
- Assist in preparation of sales meetings and trade shows (preparation of demonstration material, etc.) or other events
- Assist in product training and lectures preparation
- Interact with Wesel personnel
- Occasionally work on-site at customer's lab, as required
- Maintain laboratory equipment in good working condition
- Order and maintain stock of raw materials
- Maintain contact with raw materials and equipment suppliers
- Specify and order new equipment as needed
- Handle hazardous waste according to procedure
- Follow emergency response procedures
- Perform routine daily maintenance functions (such as compliance, clean up, etc.)
- Up to 20% travel to present to customers and technical events around the country
- International travel required for onboarding and technical training – generally 6-8 weeks abroad (in Germany) within the first year of hire
- Prepare monthly reports of activities performed
- Other duties as assigned by management
- Must successfully complete various training according to job function and regulations (such as DOT, RCRA, ISO, etc.)
- Participates in emergency response as defined in the program and training capability
- Four-year technical degree and/or approximately 5 years practical experience.
- Good problem solving abilities.
- Good communication skills.
- Able to work independently without constant supervision.