HP announced financial results for its fiscal fourth quarter and fiscal year ended Oct. 31, 2013.
Fourth quarter GAAP diluted net earnings per share (EPS) was $0.73, up from a GAAP diluted net loss per share of $3.49 in the prior-year period. Fourth quarter non-GAAP diluted net EPS was $1.01, down from $1.16 in the prior-year period. Fourth quarter non-GAAP net earnings and non-GAAP diluted net EPS exclude after-tax costs of $545 million and $0.28 per diluted share, respectively, related to restructuring charges, the amortization of intangible assets and acquisition-related charges.
Fourth quarter net revenue of $29.1 billion was down 3% from the prior-year period and down 1% when adjusted for the effects of currency.
Fiscal 2013 GAAP diluted net EPS was $2.62, up from a GAAP diluted net loss per share of $6.41 in the prior-year period and below the previously provided outlook of $2.67 to $2.71 per share. Fiscal 2013 non-GAAP diluted net EPS was $3.56, down from $4.05 in the prior-year period and within the previously provided outlook of $3.53 to $3.57 per share. Fiscal 2013 non-GAAP net earnings and non-GAAP diluted net EPS exclude after-tax costs of $1.8 billion and $0.94 per diluted share, respectively, related to the amortization of intangible assets, restructuring charges and acquisition-related charges.
Fiscal 2013 net revenue of $112.3 billion was down 7% from the prior year and down 5% when adjusted for the effects of currency.
"Through improved execution, strong cost management, and with the support of our customers and partners, HP ended fiscal 2013 on a high note," said Meg Whitman, HP president and CEO. "Our Q4 results demonstrate that HP's turnaround remains on track heading into fiscal 2014. While we still have much more work to do, our business units and their core assets are delivering on HP's strategy to help customers thrive by providing solutions for the New Style of IT."
For the first quarter of fiscal 2014, HP estimates non-GAAP diluted net EPS to be in the range of $0.82 to $0.86 and GAAP diluted net EPS to be in the range of $0.60 to $0.64.
HP generated $2.8 billion in cash flow from operations in the fourth quarter, down 31% from the prior-year period. HP utilized $479 million of cash during the quarter to repurchase approximately 21.5 million shares of common stock in the open market. HP exited the quarter with $12.5 billion in gross cash.
Fourth quarter fiscal 2013 segment results were as follows:
• Personal Systems revenue was down 2% year over year with a 3.0% operating margin. Commercial revenue increased 4% and Consumer revenue declined 10%. Total units were up 2% with Desktops units down 5% and Notebooks units up 3%.
• Printing revenue was down 1% year over year with a 17.7% operating margin. Total hardware units were up 6% with Commercial hardware units up 9% and Consumer hardware units up 4%. Supplies revenue was down 4%.
• Enterprise Group revenue was up 2% year over year with a 14.5% operating margin. Networking revenue was up 3%, Industry Standard Servers revenue was up 10%, Business Critical Systems revenue was down 17%, Storage revenue was up 1% and Technology Services revenue was down 6%.
• Enterprise Services revenue declined 9% year over year with a 4.4% operating margin. Application and Business Services revenue was down 10%, and Infrastructure Technology Outsourcing revenue declined 9%.
• Software revenue was down 9% year over year with a 30.8% operating margin. Support revenue was up 4%, license revenue was down 24%, professional services revenue was down 13% and software-as-a-service ("SaaS") revenue was up 15%.
• HP Financial Services revenue was down 6% year over year with a 5% decrease in net portfolio assets and a 3% decrease in financing volume. The business delivered an operating margin of 11.2%.