Born in Detroit, MI, Mr. Flint was the grandson of the corporation's founder, H. Howard Flint. After working at the family company during college and graduate school, he began his full-time career at Flint Ink in 1964. He was elected president and COO of Flint Ink Corporation in 1988, and chairman and CEO in 1992. In January 2005, Mr. Flint retired as CEO.
Under his leadership, the corporation more than quadrupled in size, expanding into the international marketplace and moving into digital and printed electronics technologies. The company remains the largest privately-owned printing ink manufacturer in the world.
Throughout his career, Mr. Flint was active in ink and printing industry trade associations. He served as treasurer of the Gravure Association of America and as a trustee of the Gravure Education Foundation. He was named Gravure Person of the Year in 1998 by the Association. A past president of the National Association of Printing Ink Manufacturers, he received NAPIM’s Printing Ink Pioneer Award in 1991. In 1999, he received the Ault Award, the highest honor bestowed by NAPIM.
He is survived by a sister, Marilyn Flint; a brother, David B. Flint (Amber); three daughters, Martha Kistler (David), Heather Putz (Michael), and Mary Pardi (Chris); and nine grandchildren.Contributions may be made to the WMU Foundation, Gift Processing, 1903 W. Michigan, Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5403, Contribution to: Department of Paper Engineering, Chemical Engineering, and Imaging (Imaging Program); Kirk in the Hills Church, 1340 West Long Lake Rd., Bloomfield Hills, Michigan 48302 Bloomfield Hills, MI ; or Angels’ Place, 15140 Lahser Rd, Southfield, MI 48034.